Every night starting on Monday, July 13, until Friday, September 11!
All beaches remain closed and events around the city keep getting canceled but the good news is we’ll still get to enjoy some outdoor flicks this summer with “Movies in the Parks”! The Chicago Park District recently announced the fan-favorite event will be returning this year for its 20th anniversary albeit with strict social distancing guidelines in place.
Movies in the Parks returns for its 20th anniversary under new health & safety guidelines. The series runs July 13- Sept. 11.▶️https://t.co/qlyw8bMQB0
🛑Please review the health guidelines before heading out. ▶️ https://t.co/L6ZestWkZX
— Chicago ParkDistrict (@ChicagoParks) July 11, 2020
The free series starts on Monday, July 13, with the screening of “Sonic the Hedgehog” at Seward Park and will finish on Friday, September 11 with “Toy Story 4” at Veteran’s Memorial park and will feature a total of 45 screenings in parks throughout the city. This year, the screenings will include all kinds of movies from Golden-Age-Holywood classics and retro childhood flicks all the way to family-friendly blockbusters like “Aladdin” and “Frozen II.”
“Movies in the Parks” returns for its 20th anniversary this summer but will be strictly enforcing a series of new health and safety measures. Admittance will be capped at 100 people at each screening. Attendants will also be required to wear face coverings and respect the appropriate 6-foot distance and to move around the park as little as possible. In order to prevent any further physical contact, organizers won’t be handing out pop-corn bags at this year’s screenings but hand sanitizer will be available for patrons at the entry and exit points of the viewing area.
Screenings will be held every evening at dusk (that’s 8:15 pm if you were wondering) and viewers will be admitted on a first-come, first-serve basis until the venue reaches capacity. Check out the full list of screenings below:
- Sonic the Hedgehog– Monday, July 13, Seward Park.
- Aladdin–Tuesday, July 14, Cragin Park.
- Toy Story–Wednesday, July 15 , O’Hallaren Park.
- Aquaman–Thursday, July 16, Austin Town Hall.
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold–Friday, July 17, Galewood Park.
- Frozen II–Monday, July 20, Burnham Park.
- Aladdin–Tuesday, July 21, Fosco Park.
- Frozen II–Wednesday, July 22, Green Briar Park.
- Aladdin–Thursday, July 23, Smith Park.
- Toy Story 4–Friday, July 24, Archer Park.
- Sonic the Hedgehog–Monday, July 27, Bell Park.
- The Rookie–Tuesday, July 28, Beverly Park.
- The Lion King–Wednesday, July 29, Taylor-Lauridsen Park.
- The Lion King–Thursday, July 30, Sauganash Park.
- Frozen II–Friday, July 31, Rowan Park.
*Starting Monday, August 17 all movies will start at 8 pm*
- Sonic the Hedgehog–Monday, August 3, Kenwood Community Park.
- Home–Tuesday, August 4, Gill Park.
- Pokemon: Detective Pikachu–Wednesday, August 5, Normandy Park.
- Moana–Thursday, August 6, Commercial Club Playground of Chicago.
- Coco–Friday, August 7, Athletic Field Park.
- The Lion King–Monday, August 10, Woodhull Park.
- The Lion King–Tuesday, August 11, Homan Square Community Center Park.
- Scoob!–Wednesday, August 12, Paschen Park.
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold–Thursday, August 13, West Lawn Park.
- Space Jam–Friday, August 14, Dvorak Park.
- Sing–Monday, August 17, Haas Park.
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold–Tuesday, August 18, Calumet Park.
- Sonic the Hedgehog–Wednesday, August 19, Kelly Park.
- Toy Story 4–Thursday, August 20, Peterson Park.
- The Lion King–Friday, August 21, Palmer Park.
- Selena–Monday, August 24, McKinley Park.
- The Secret Life of Pets 2–Tuesday, August 25, Senn Park.
- Sonic the Hedgehog–Wednesday, August 26, Lowe Park.
- Harriet–Thursday, August 27, Fuller Park.
- Frozen II–Friday, August 28, Olympia Park.
- Aladdin–Monday, August 31, Mamie-Till Park.
- Just Mercy–Tuesday, September 1, Mandrake Park.
- Toy Story 4–Wednesday, September 2, Schreiber Park.
- Avengers: Endgame–Thursday, September 3, Hamilton Park
- Penguins–Friday, September 4, Piotrowski Park.
- Wonder Park–Monday, September 7, Wilson Park.
- Avengers: Endgame–Tuesday, September 8, Sherwood Park.
- Aladdin–Wednesday, September 9, Altgeld Park.
- Frozen II–Thursday, September 10, Ken-Well Park.
- Toy Story 4–Friday, September 11, Veterans’ Memorial Park.
[Featured image: Chicago Park District]