Golden Nugget Pancake House, a popular 24- hour pancake house on Irving Road closed its doors after 52 years of service. First opening in 1970, the popular late-night spot served night owls, neighborhood regulars, and more with fresh pancakes, steaming coffee, and late-night bites.
About five years ago, operating ours went from 6 AM to 10 PM instead of 24 hours. Then, after the pandemic hit, owner Cathy Guzman had trouble finding staff and they shut down temporarily. Now, staff has been moved to other locations and additional signs tell customers where they can find longtime customer-favorite servers Diane, Nancy and Odette.
As the years went on, Golden Nugget became a popular late-night hangout with customers recalling the warm staff and the open atmosphere.
The local chain opened in 1966. Now, it has four remaining locations at 2406 W. Diversey Ave., 3959 W. Diversey Ave., 3001 N. Central Ave. and 1765 W. Lawrence Ave.
[Featured photo from @erikaloveschicago]